Tomatoes, Tomatoes, Tomatoes



My mom and I spent all day yesterday canning diced tomatoes, tomato juice, and chili sauce. With all the beautiful tomatoes in the kitchen, I couldn't help but make tomato pie for lunch. I learned how to make this from my mom, who got the idea from her mom, who had it at a restaurant in New England. I thought I would share the recipe. It's one of my favorite things to make in the summer with fresh, homegrown tomatoes. 

Start with your favorite biscuit recipe. I love Susan Branch's Best Biscuits! from her Heart of the Home cookbook

You'll also need tomatoes (4-5),

fresh mozzerella,

 fresh basil (dried will work if you don't have fresh), 

and mayonnaise (no picture).

Roll out half your biscuit dough so that it will fill up a pie dish. Then layer tomato, mayo, cheese, dash of salt and pepper, and basil. Keep layering until your pie is as full as you want it.

Roll out the rest of your biscuit dough and lay it over your pie. Pinch the sides together and cut slits in the top.

Bake until it is golden brown.

YUMMY!



Comments

a.m. said…
Just made one of these tonight!

Popular Posts