Baby E birth story

Well, it's been a month since our lives changed forever...

Our sweet Emmett Paul was born on May 24th at 12:58pm. 

It was a beautiful spring morning. We had a leisurely morning. I was able to shower and get  ready while Jeff and Finn slept. I made Finn his usual morning toast. It was so surreal knowing that by the end of the day we were going to have a fourth family member! At about 9:30am we left our house-- one toddler car seat full and an empty infant car seat in the backseat of our car. We drove down the quiet country road to drop Finn off at my parents' house. Again, I just couldn't believe that was the last time we would drive down that road with just one child. It felt so weird!


Jeff and I were going to be a bit early to the hospital so we took the long way on a back road. It was so peaceful riding in the car with my husband. I was so emotional! Every time I thought about where we were going I started to tear up. We made it to the hospital and went upstairs to labor and delivery to check in. 

I got all hooked up to the monitors and the nurses started my IV. Then we waited... 


My doctor came in and asked if I could feel all the contractions they were seeing on the monitor. "Oh yes!" I said. " I've been feeling them for the last couple months." Pretty soon they would be all gone though. A little after noon it was time to go back to the OR. Jeff buttoned up my gown and we walked back hand in hand with the medical team. He didn't come in the OR with me just then.  He went back to the room to change into his special outfit while I had my spinal block done. 

The first spinal block really hurt going in. Luckily there were some great, supportive nurses carrying me through that. I laid back on the operating table with my legs tingling and they put my catheter in. Looking up at the bright lights all I could think was, "I never want to do this again." I was getting a little anxious and shaky. Especially when they were getting close to beginning and I wasn't feeling very numb. By this point Jeff was in the room and I was so glad. He just kept holding my hand and reassuring me. When the doctor was ready to begin she pricked my abdomen to test for numbness and it felt like needles poking me. I could also still move my feet so the anesthesiologist said we better do another spinal. After that one I was definitely numb and a little lightheaded. But I felt so much calmer now that I was fully numb. 

A few minutes later our sweet little Emmett was born. I felt a huge release of pressure as my water was broken and he was pulled from my body. 



I heard a couple cries and the nurse brought him behind the curtain to show him to me before they cleaned him off. That, of course, is when I started to really cry. He was weighed and given his vitamin K shot and eye ointment and then brought to me to hold on my chest. He weighed 8 pounds 3 ounces and was 20 inches long. So small compared to his big brother! He had a bit of dark hair which was an exciting surprise. 



I loved being able to do skin to skin right away. Such an amazing thing. Everything felt so peaceful while they stitched me back up. Back in my room I nursed him and he latched just wonderfully. We also called grandma to have big brother come to the hospital. 





Besides being numb for so long after, my recovery this time has been so much better than it was the first time around. Nursing hasn't hurt near as bad. The emotional roller coaster has been just as intense as it was with Finn, but that's to be expected I guess. Overall, it was a wonderful birth experience with wonderful medical staff and help from family. 

I can't even begin to describe the intense feelings of love and gratitude for this new baby, my first son, and my dear husband who was by my side for all of it. Bringing children into this world is the most sacred, beautiful thing a person can experience in my opinion. We love you, Emmett!




Comments

Popular Posts